Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Fused neutral cutout.

On 23/07/2018 08:14, harry wrote:
On Tuesday, 17 July 2018 18:33:12 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 18:27:30 +0100, ARW
wrote:

On 17/07/2018 14:57, Robin wrote:
Just has a letter from UK Power Networks stating their records show I
have
one of these which is outdated and needs to be replaced urgently.

Be interested to know why this has suddenly become urgent. ;-)

However, mine was replaced by a single line fuse with neutral link
some 40
odd years ago - before I bought this house.

But the point of this post is the diagram on the letter - to allow you to
identify your unit - shows an earth terminal as being part of their
obligatory supply. Last time I checked, this wasn't the case. Have the
regs changed? Can I demand they fit one FOC?

I don't think they're obliged to provide one but in London "they" will
provide PME free if it's available in your area so long as your
installation is up to date (which Adam thought meant the main bonding).

See

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/in...ices/earthing/

**** knows what the meter installers think up to not do a job. I was
refused a meter installation on a job last week because there was no
earth rod.

True there was was no earth rod, but there was also no CU or indeed any
wiring (other than their incoming supply).

"Why do I need an earth rod now?"
"So I can install the meter"
"The meter does not need an earth"
"But you might not fit one"
"Is that the wrong meter you have brought?"
"No"
"Why have you brought a three phase meter?"

Packed his bags and went.

I'd love to have three phase in case I buy an electric car in the
future.

Most electric cars/PHEVs can be charged from a 13a socket. (Overnight).

Any practical[1] mainstream EV could only be charged to a tiny fraction
of its capacity from 13A overnight.

[1] i.e. not the virtue signalling toy ones like yours.

--
Cheers,

John.