Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Why do these GFCI receptacles trip?

Don't use them on washing machines, dryers or refrigerators.

Whatever the code says, if your house was built 10 years ago then whatever the code said then goes, or at least you can make go.

If it has a 3 prong plug and you have a properly grounded outlet you don't need it. You are not required to update except in certain cases. Just make sure the ground connections are tight.

May not quite be code but it solves the problem once and for all, and as long as those grounds are good, you will not die. Make SURE.

I read a bit and it does appear there is a little wiggle room on it, and then they say a whole 60 people died from electrical shocks last year. And then so many by fires, many more in fact. A GFCI does not protect against fires, only ground faults.

After you put regular outlets in for your 3 prong grounded appliances that have motors, do nothing. However I am not so sure about if you use those clippers in front of a sink. Too many other things can be plugged in there and the clippers are not usually 3 prong grounded, that one might have to say and either put up with it or try a newer GFCI. In that case I DO NOT recommend offing the GFCI. In fact not at all, it will solve the problem though.