Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Accelerator stuck wide open while car is going fast: what should you do?

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
NY wrote:
Is the heaviness of the steering when PAS is disabled due solely to
having to compress the PAS fluid on the "wrong" side of the piston that
gives power assistance? Or are cars with PAS made with inherently
heavier steering (different castor angle) to give greater precision and
feedback to the driver, in the knowledge that the PAS will more than
compensate for this heavier (but more responsive, more self-centring)
steering. I've heard two schools of thought about this.

I've driven quite a few cars of the same make and model fitted with both
manual and power steering. And the effort needed on a broken power
steering one is way higher than the manual one. Making me think the
hydraulics or whatever must introduce a lot of friction.

That effect is actually due to the gear ratio used with manual
and power steering and that is trivial to prove by counting
the steering wheel turns needed to go lock to lock in both cars.