Posted to uk.transport,uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Accelerator stuck wide open while car is going fast: what should you do?

"Chris Green" wrote in message
NY wrote:
This question was posed in a video reconstruction of an incident in the
US.

You were offered three choices:

- yank on the handbrake
- put the car in neutral
- turn off the ignition

The "correct" answer was to put the car in neutral. Turning off the
engine
would lock the steering. Pulling on the handbrake would lock the rear
wheels.

On Citroens (others maybe?) the handbrake works on the front wheels.

Good point. I'd forgotten that. My dad had a couple of Citroen GSs and he
said the garage always cursed if they needed to change the discs because
they are mounted on the half shafts close to the gearbox rather than next to
the hubs, which made it a bigger job.