Posted to uk.transport,uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Accelerator stuck wide open while car is going fast: what should you do?

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
NY wrote:
This question was posed in a video reconstruction of an incident in the
US.

You were offered three choices:

- yank on the handbrake
- put the car in neutral
- turn off the ignition

The "correct" answer was to put the car in neutral. Turning off the
engine would lock the steering. Pulling on the handbrake would lock the
rear wheels.

Total ********.

The steering doesn't lock until the key is removed.

No handbrake will lock the wheels while the car in is gear.

With a FWD car, where it's the front wheels, rather than the handbraked rear
wheels that are being driven, I can imagine that a really fierce handbrake
(which I've never actually encountered) or a really hard yank on the lever
could brake the rear wheels while the front wheels are still being driven
onwards by the engine. So there is potential for rear wheel skid. As you
say, unlikely with most cars' puny handbrakes compared with footbrake with
its servo not working because you've turned the engine off.

The answer is to turn off the ignition, but not remove the key. Leave the
car in gear. You will still have steering and brakes.

Exactly.