Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Accelerator stuck wide open while car is going fast: what should you do?

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
One thing I found confusing was that in the US you are meant to cross yuor
arms when sterring and you'd fail the test if you arms didn't cross,
whereas in the UK you are meant to keep the 10:2 and you are meant to
shuffle the hands while turning the steering wheel.

I didn't know that. I'd fail then, because I was taught the 10-to-2 way for
the normal test, then got into bad habits and had it drummed out of me a
second time when I took my IAM advanced test. I now mostly keep my hands in
their own half (ie not going past the 12 o clock position), apart from when
manoeuvring in a confined space at very low speed. For most normal driving
(eg at 90 degree junctions) I move one hand from 12 to 6 or 6 to 12 and then
let the other hand take over for the continuing movement (eg 12 to 6
clockwise with right hand, then 6 to 12 clockwise with left hand). I tend to
go for the smallest number of big movements - rather a larger number of
smaller movements, which is what driving schools sometimes (used to) teach.

I know some US cars have a knob on the rim of the steering wheel which you
are supposed to use to turn it when manoeuvring.

The one thing I never do is the "mechanic's grip" with the hand facing palm
towards me on the opposite side of the wheel eg left hand at 2 o clock with
thumb facing towards 12 o clock and wrist roughly above the centre of the
wheel.