Dave C.

Default Has anyone Tried to Recycle heat from Dryer vent?

"lbbs" nonex wrote in message ...
I imagine putting some find of a filter at the end of the vent house would
do the trick, and direct the vent into the laundry room. Some one
mentioned that the added humidity in the room might actually make the

drying
process take longer (it need dry air). Although in my case might not be

problem because the room is very large (24x24). Anyone ever tried

this,
did it work good, any problems? Thanks

One apartment I lived in had almost no insulation on the exterior walls.
The heating system was OK, but just couldn't keep up in winter, fighting
against all the cold that bled through the walls. We bought a lint filter
for the electric dryer for about $10. Basically, it's a bucket of water.
There is a cover on the bucket of water with several holes in it. One HUGE
hole is where you attatch the end of the dryer hose. Air from the dryer
hits the water in the bucket, where lint is trapped. Then the warm air with
lint removed exits the smaller holes in the side of the bucket cap. It will
raise the temperature of a ~1000 square foot apartment 2 - 4 degrees F,
while the dryer is running. It will also raise the humidity level to about
60% or so. It's not very effective, and overall not a good idea. At BEST,
the effect it has wears off in an hour or two after the clothes are dry.
You'd have to do about 70 loads of laundry a week in a small apartment to
notice any effect on your heating bill. -Dave