Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default SketchUp? I Don't Need No Stinking SketchUp!

On 7/22/2018 3:05 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/22/2018 12:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 11:13:12 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 7/21/2018 10:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
While you guys have been figuring out how to use SketchUp and bickering
about which operating system is best, I've been making sawdust. ;-)

I built this old fashioned way: with a tape measure and a pencil.
Well, OK
a couple of tape measures and "Hey! Where the hell did that pencil
go now?"

The loft along the back wall has been there for years. Everything
else was
designed and built today, on the fly. The only "computer" involved
was my
phone playing a whole lot of Allman Brothers, Stevie Ray Vaughan and
similar
artists on a Bluetooth speaker. ;-)

https://i.imgur.com/0v44CJq.jpg

Cool!

Thanks. The previous storage "system" was a mis-matched set of whatever
POS entertainment center, shelf unit and old cabinet that I just sort of
ended up with over the years. It was time to clean the garage anyway, so
I figured I would start from scratch.

Pop Quiz:

There a single piece of wood that serves no actual purpose. It was
added for
purely aesthetic reasons.

(It's not the short 2x4 on the upper right. That will be used to hang
seasonal yard equipment, e.g. brooms or snow shovels. I'll probably
finish off all the ends of the shelves in that section. It'll look more
solid/finished.)

OK, so where's unnecessary piece of "structure"?

Top right rail.

Not if you are referring to the 9" 2x4 with the nail in it. That has a
purpose: Hanging brooms, etc. as mentioned in the OP.

Actually the right back rail against the wall at the top.Â* The lower
shelves had narrower rails on the wall.

I hadn't even noticed it being there; maybe framed that box and set it
up there and that's a construction aid only?

Now if you had used SU you might have added a corner
leg where the side and back wall intersect.Â* ;~)

Why?

To prevent sag.Â* I put up some shelves in a closet very similar to your
layout.Â* The corners sagged after being loaded.Â* I added a leg near the
corner.

I think that likely will be an issue with time unless the loading is
pretty minimal weight. The similar construct in the basement change
room here is 3' deep instead of what looks like about 2' here and it has
oneby inside corners going up the faces; the shelves on it are inset
around the verticals.

It has a base kickboard like cabinets at the bottom so the bottom shelf
is 3" off the floor...

On the corner support here, I've not ever actually done it but a way to
leave minimal obstruction would be similar to the plumbing strap but use
aircraft cable or a small diameter rod instead of full-scale
construction dimensions. With the rear top shelf here being wider than
the lowers, there isn't a straight shot up the corner all the way to the
ceiling; would have to go thru the top shelf to do that which likely
is/would be inconvenient.

All in all, however, undoubtedly a much-needed improvement!