Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton[_2_] Mathew Newton[_2_] is offline

Default Removing UPVC window

I want to remove a UPVC window and having hacked off one side of plaster on the inside I was expecting to find cleats similar to these securing the window to the internal wall leaf:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-uPVC...of-10/p/180130

But I didn't see anything of the kind:

http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/loungewindow1.jpg
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/loungewindow2.jpg
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/loungewindow3.jpg
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/permanent/loungewindow4.jpg

The vertical plastic piece (held in with two nails and a bit of plasterboard adhesive overspill) looks to me like it it some sort of cavity closer and its profile is such that I can't see how any sort of straight cleat could pass through/behind it. I certainly can't see anything on the exposed blockwork.

Any ideas how this window is secured in place? Incidentally, the inside of the frame shows no obvious fixings passing through to anything either.

I will continue to hack away when I can find a moment, and will look to remove the window ledge also in case there's anything under there (I wouldn't expect there to be as it'd also require something along the top which doesn't seem like a good place to secure a window what with the lintel above it)..