Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default SketchUp? I Don't Need No Stinking SketchUp!

On 7/21/2018 10:00 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
While you guys have been figuring out how to use SketchUp and bickering
about which operating system is best, I've been making sawdust. ;-)

I built this old fashioned way: with a tape measure and a pencil. Well, OK
a couple of tape measures and "Hey! Where the hell did that pencil go now?"

The loft along the back wall has been there for years. Everything else was
designed and built today, on the fly. The only "computer" involved was my
phone playing a whole lot of Allman Brothers, Stevie Ray Vaughan and similar
artists on a Bluetooth speaker. ;-)

https://i.imgur.com/0v44CJq.jpg

Cool!

Pop Quiz:

There a single piece of wood that serves no actual purpose. It was added for
purely aesthetic reasons.

(It's not the short 2x4 on the upper right. That will be used to hang
seasonal yard equipment, e.g. brooms or snow shovels. I'll probably
finish off all the ends of the shelves in that section. It'll look more
solid/finished.)

OK, so where's unnecessary piece of "structure"?

Top right rail. Now if you had used SU you might have added a corner
leg where the side and back wall intersect. ;~)