Posted to alt.politics.scorched-earth,alt.home.repair,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,alt.politics.uk
=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= =?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= is offline

Default Plan to teach all children first aid

NY posted for all of us...

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Dunno how long we will be allowed to keep them though. They are trying
to ban diesel cars I think. Hopefully, not for while yet. I love mine

It's not too long that they were advising us to buy diesels, and now
look!!!

I know. It's a bummer, isn't it. More fuel efficient (about 55 mpg rather
than about 40 for a similar size/power of petrol engine in the same car) and
*much* nicer to drive, without needing you to change down as far, so easier
to negotiate a roundabout or a turning into a side road without having to
change down an extra gear lower. And much better 50-70 acceleration for
overtaking a slower car. And quieter (yes, I know that's weird!) on the
motorway because the engine is lower-revving: about 2500 rather than about
3500 at 70 mph.

Out in the countryside or in small towns, used mainly out of the stop-start
rush hour, I imagine that diesels will continue, but it's a liability if my
wife ever needs to drive in/through a city which has a diesel pollution
surcharge as a daily rate. Her own car is newer and therefore a cleaner
diesel, but mine is 08 reg (Euro 4 rather than Euro 6, I think) so may fall
foul of restrictions. It's new enough to have a diesel particulate filter
(as I know to my cost, replacement at 150,000 miles cost an eye-watering
amount), but it's the oxides of nitrogen that are the problem. My knowledge
of A level chemistry from nearly 40 years ago isn't good enough to know
whether NOx can be catalytically converted (reduced?) to anything less
pooluting.

Investigate DEF - Diesel Exhaust Fluid

--
Tekkie