Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sketchup grief again/still...

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 12:30:49 -0400, Jack wrote:

On 7/20/2018 9:42 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
J. Clarke writes:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 21:46:13 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

Jack wrote in news

Well, as I understand it, MAC is UNIX with a graphical interface.
That's why it works I reckon. For me though, I was always a gear
head, and liked the raw stuff. Unix and OS/2 (and DOS for that
matter) were amiable to folks working under the hood. Windows and Mac
not so much. The WIN Registry is so screwed up, designed by morons,
Gates should be in jail just for that alone.

Microsoft knows the registry sucks, it's a prime example of scope creep.
The guy who came up with it had a power point where it says: Let me say
something about the registry: I'm sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry
sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry
[...]

It's a great example of scope creep. It's a good idea on its face, they
just went overboard storing stuff in it.

Actually, all user-specific or hardware-specific configuration
information is _supposed_ to go there. What makes it a mess is the
idiot developers who store user-specific information in the hardware
part and vice versa.

The idea is that you log into a different machine with a different
processor and different video and different everything else, your
configuration, your application settings, etc, all go with you, all in
one neat little file.

That's the major complaint. "one neat little file".

Give me unix style configuration files (ASCII, one per subsystem)
any day.

+1

UNIX, the worlds greatest OS, undoubtedly inspired by god, or God if
you're a believer.

OK, tell us how, in unix, you transfer a user's settings from an Alpha
to an Itanium. Don't just say "copy files". Which specific files do
you copy and how do you know that those are the ones?