Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_5_] OFWW[_5_] is offline

Default Sketchup grief again/still...

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 09:30:15 -0400, Jack wrote:

On 7/18/2018 10:47 PM, Bill wrote:
I accidentally deleted the post, but someone (Jack?) wrote that he was
tired of hardware systems lasting only 3 years.

It seems that systems sold at retail (Best Buy?) are built that way, so
that you come back to replace them. If you assemble your own, using
quality components, you can expect it to have a lifetime alot longer
than 3 years..long enough the you'll probably be ready to replace the
system for other reasons before it stops. The purchase price will be a
bit higher. But you will also be in a much better position to service
it if you want to upgrade it. I just wanted to mention that this
alternative option is available. I think that once you do it, you'll
never again settle for someone else's choices (in a system).

That was Bob, not me, BUT, historically, Hardware didn't last more than
3 years because it could no longer handle the software more than
hardware failure, it was obsolescence. I still have my 486 sitting
beside me, and it still works, if you want it too. When purchased, it
was good as it gets. Would bet my PCXT would still work if I didn't toss
it. Also still have my last computer running, networked to this one.
Runs fine, but too slow, use mainly for a network backup, in addition to
my other 2 backups. I think some of this is slowing down a bit though,
for example, my hard drives have not come close to filling up for years.
When I started, I thought my 10 MEG hard drive was huge, (it wasn't)
My terabyte drives are still more than adequate for my use.

My first HD was 5 Meg made by a company in Arizona, it cost me 500.
Thought I could record the whole world on it at the time.