Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Sketchup grief again/still...

On 7/17/2018 3:07 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/17/2018 9:45 AM, Jack wrote:
On 7/17/2018 9:05 AM, dpb wrote:
On 7/16/2018 11:09 PM, Bill wrote:

(Don't forget to) Have fun! : )
Bill

Thanks, Bill...I don't think "fun" is in the cards...

That's not good.

I still think in terms of the old drafting board and CAD programs that
mimicked hand drawings that used for so many years and can't seem to get
past the paradigm shift.

That's a big problem with SU.Â* You think you know enough about CAD
that you can sort of figure stuff out.Â* Quicky, frustration builds and
you quit.Â* This is why lots of us took several try's to get going with
SU. It is NOT intuitive.Â* You must first, assume it will do everything
you want (it mostly likely will) and then SLOW DOWN, and learn some
very basic things, don't get ahead of yourself.

Nailed it!Â* I have used probably 5~6 different CAD programs including
AutoCAD.Â* Sketchup is totally different than all the rest.

Once you get past the first few basic aspects, it becomes pretty easy.
Learn how to make a 2x4x8. Make it a component. This is easy, but
requires using the rectangle tool, the push tool, the selection tool,
and the dimension box. You also need to know what perspective you are
looking at (there is iso, front top left right and back)

I drew every line in the beginning.Â* ;!)

Use Youtube videos to learn a step at a time, there are a million of
them. Some just what you need, others not so much.

For what I'm wanting to do, if it would run on
the 64-bit OS, I'd just go back to it but I also don't want to spend the
time at the moment to reinstall the virtual system and all...proverbial
catch-22!Â* Â* (And I do really, really understand in the end I need to
get to where can use SU at least with a minimal degree of proficiency)

Once you get the minimal degree of proficiency, the maximum is just
around the corner. But, it's tough getting started.

Agreed, for me, suddenly everything just clicked.Â* But you HAVE to
create components or you will get nowhere.

Well, I just came to report...

I believe that _just maybe_ I've finally began to get a little ways off
the ground...I deleted what I spent most (at least what I could stand
before getting so frustrated would go do something else) of previous two
days doing and managed then to recreate the basic outlines of a floor
plan with entry in about 5 minutes (most of which was trying to remember
which of the stinkin' icons means which tool...). Now to see if I can
insert the immovable interior walls onto that which create the
boundaries for the proposed renovations...

An almost totally trivial result so far, but it does begin to show me
how need to try to put stuff together when one _doesn't_ draw every line
as would w/ the pencil.

Thanks for the pointers...I think this is about the fourth or fifth time
we've had the conversation, maybe this time some will "stick"!

Oh, make sure your select tool doesn't take more than a split second
to make a selection.Â* Mine now take at least 30 seconds so you can't
use SU if this is happening.

That doesn't seem an issue; I am sticking to Win7 as long as possible,
however...

I will ask one more Q? on the toolbars, however -- if one adds an
additional toolbar, it appears that they all have many of the same tools
in different toolbars -- but I don't see a way to pare those down to
eliminate the redundant or to just add a particular tool? That somehow
doesn't seem the way it ought to work...I must be missing something
here, too...