Goedjn

Default Ceiling Light Problem - No Switch

If it's your house, you could run a switch-leg from the light-fixture
to the entry-door, using surface-mount conduit. But it would
make more sense, to me, anyway to find someone competent
to make a map of how the place is wired, first. There's almost
certainly a way to make it work properly. *MY* guess is
that someone replacing the ceiling fixture swapped wires around
in it, and if you can figure out which wires in the ceiling box
go (respectively) to the switch, outlet, and power supply,
you can fix it with a wire-nut.

Are the outlets fed from the light fixture, or the switch?

Oh, and the "person with an EE degree" should not be
allowed to touch any of your home wiring, ever again.

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Phil Anderson wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
I was in a Lowes store yeasterday and they have all kinds of rf

remote
control devices for lights. Might be cheaper than having to get

an X10
rig for controlling just one fixture, and one adaptor per bulb,

but
maybe not.

So if as you say, you don't want a pull chain hanging in the

middle of
the ceiling, how about a pull cord from that chain running

across the
ceiling through a few screweyes and hanging down against a wall
alongside that ineffective switch? (Ducking....)

I might, just might, even be willing to consider some sort of a
pull chain arrangement, but the other part of the problem is all
the fixtures of that sort I have seen either go on a ceiling fan,
or else are garage ugly.

It shouldn't take a brain surgeon to figure out how to drill a hole in
the bezel or whatchacallit part of the lamp which mounts over the
electrical box in the ceiling and put a pull switch in it.

Those switches are also available at Lowes or any decent hardware store.

Happy New Year,

Jeff

Will check and see what I can find at Lowe;s. Is X-10 a mail only
kind of thing?

Phil

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)