Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_91_] Bill[_91_] is offline

Default Sketchup grief again/still...

dpb wrote:
On 7/14/2018 10:14 PM, Bill wrote:
dpb wrote:
I've yet to get anywhere useful w/ Sketchup; it and I just
don't seem to "be able to communicate"...

I found a book to be more useful than videos.

Any one in particular?

I believe this was my first one:

https://www.amazon.com/Google-Sketch...der_0596521464

But it's 9 years old now (and can be had cheap). There seem to
be many more choices now. Surely it was designed for an older
version of the product. But I don't think that would be a big
deal. In my experience, it was easier to follow directions that
were given in text, rather than to try to pick up instructions by
watching someone in a video-where you may not see them
right-click, for instance.

Remembering Leon's suggestion to "Make Components" is worth
remembering (or you'll be forever frustrated when trying to
change a model--at that point it's too late).

Start small, be patient, and you'll be able to learn how to do
everything. I used to practice trying to build a 3-d house from
scratch everyday, Then I'd add a door, a window, furniture (from
the "component store), bushes, sidewalk, etc. One you figure it
out, you can build fast. Take a few months off from it, and you
won't be as fast.. ha. Good luck!

Bill