Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sketchup grief again/still...

On 7/15/2018 10:04 AM, dpb wrote:
On 7/15/2018 9:21 AM, Leon wrote:

Unfortunately Sketchup is no longer being updated for the free version
and they want you to use an on line version, it sucks.

IIRC I have an install file for 17 if you would be interested.

Thanks, Leon.

I ran into that, too...what is installed as near as can tell is
something they call 2017 Sketchup Make v17.2.nnnn (don't recall the nnn)

That is what you want, that is as good as it gets unless you spend some
money.. ;~( i'm actually using 17.2.555

AFAICT that is running locally; I get a prompt every time open to go to
an online version that I've refused.

I don't get that other than the normal splash screen that has always
popped up. No extra clicks to get the program up and running.

But, doesn't seem to match up precisely with the doc nor behavior so it
appears to me this is/was some intermediary release on the way to the
online version maybe...

I've never had any luck whatsoever w/ SU as far as getting anything
useful done; I just don't seem to have the knack to use it as it's
intended.Â* Drawing a square and cutting a hole or dup'ing it is fine but
trying to piece stuff together to make a real object just ends up in
pure frustration...

--

Soooooo.. ;~) Have you learned to make each separate part of your
project into a "component" before drawing other pieces of the project?

Draw a square, push or pull it to make it a box, draw a circle on one
side and push the circle and you are done with that part of the puzzle.
NOW make all of that into a component before starting to draw another
part of the project. It is protected, so to speak, but you can edit it
later and if you do edit it later keep in mind that if you make copies
of the component they too will reflect edits.

If you do not make each "project piece" into a component before moving
on to the other pieces will result in the "part" being unprotected, so
to speak. Making a part into a component prevents it from being
attached to other lines or parts. Until an object is made into a
component it will "stick" to other parts in the drawing.

Think of building in the shop. You do not start gluing pieces of wood
together until they are the correct size. Drawing is the same, complete
the piece, make it into a component and move on to the next part of the
drawing, make into a component, and so on.

Once all pieces are components you can move them around with out them
becoming attached to each other.

IMHO this is the number one thing that you should learn to do to make
drawing go 1000% less stressful.

To make anything into a component simply hi-light all lines that you
want to be a separate piece of the project, and only those lines. The
right click the selection and choose Make Component. IIRC you can also
simply type the letter G as a shortcut. Then a box will open, you can
name the component or simply press enter to accept.

Is that what is making you pull your hair out? :~) It tool me 3 years
with separate installs of different versions before I learned to do
this. Draw like you would build, finish a part and make it a component
before going to the next part of the project.