Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Help to connect external hard drive

On 15/07/2018 09:38, Handsome Jack wrote:
Different people have different backup requirements. 20GB does seem
absurdly small these days (even I have a 500GB backup drive), but
perhaps he doesn't take many photos.

People here and on the parallel thread "OT _ Back up Advice - PC" also
talk about generational backups, incremental backups, protecting against
a hardware failure while doing the backup, etc. Not everybody needs to
be so sophisticated. An offline backup arrangement that will allow you
to recover most files after a primary disk crash or ransomware attack is
likely to be good enough for ninety per cent of non-business users. Most
people don't even have that in place IME.

I must admit the 20GB is getting near capacity. I am quite brutal with
pictures and only ever keep the better ones. I did a couple of years
back go through them and found loads of similar and badly composed ones,
when on hols I probably take around 100 but only keep maybe 20 or so.
I have a couple of spreadsheets that are important to me but useless for
anyone else but I keep 3 copies stored elsewhere.