Old July 13th 18, 09:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Help to connect external hard drive

I currently use an old hard drive as an external, I bought a conversion
kit off ebay and all works fine.
I have now taken the hard drive from an unused virgin top box and hoping
to use that also as an external hard drive. Both are Seagate 3.5, Virgin
one 500GB.
I am assuming I would connect it to my PC and reformat. However I am not
quite sure of the connections to make as they are slightly different to
my current external one, as per image.
Any help or advice would be good.

https://imgur.com/a/BZmyhop

Old July 13th 18, 09:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote

I currently use an old hard drive as an external,
I bought a conversion kit off ebay and all works fine.

I have now taken the hard drive from an unused virgin top box and hoping
to use that also as an external hard drive. Both are Seagate 3.5, Virgin
one 500GB.

I am assuming I would connect it to my PC and reformat. However I am not
quite sure of the connections to make as they are slightly different to
my current external one, as per image.
Any help or advice would be good.

https://imgur.com/a/BZmyhop

The virgin box drive is a sata. Just get a conversion kit for those.

Old July 13th 18, 10:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I currently use an old hard drive as an external, I bought a conversion
kit off ebay and all works fine.
I have now taken the hard drive from an unused virgin top box and hoping
to use that also as an external hard drive. Both are Seagate 3.5, Virgin
one 500GB.
I am assuming I would connect it to my PC and reformat. However I am not
quite sure of the connections to make as they are slightly different to
my current external one, as per image.
Any help or advice would be good.

https://imgur.com/a/BZmyhop

Ebay item 123188037792 99 pence inc free postage from China.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 13th 18, 11:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2018 21:45, ss wrote:
I currently use an old hard drive as an external, I bought a conversion
kit off ebay and all works fine.
I have now taken the hard drive from an unused virgin top box and hoping
to use that also as an external hard drive. Both are Seagate 3.5, Virgin
one 500GB.
I am assuming I would connect it to my PC and reformat. However I am not
quite sure of the connections to make as they are slightly different to
my current external one, as per image.
Any help or advice would be good.

https://imgur.com/a/BZmyhop

I assume that adapter is a universal USB to IDE/SATA

Your old drive is IDE

Your Virgin drive is SATA

The kit should have a SATA data lead and a SATA power lead
and an adapter to convert from a IDE power connector to a SATA power
connector.

Looking at your picture the connector on top of the virgin drive looks
correct. One lead from that will fit into the top of the large block
with the USB lead. The other cable should fit to the power outlet from
the power supply.

Although not the same adapter the following Youtube video may give some idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGdbRI-WPcY

or _some_ of the following
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGbrDoRWChk

Your PC may not see a disk formatted in a Virgin box. A lot of PVRs are
formatted as Ext3/Ext4. You may have to install a utility on the PC

https://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-w...-from-windows/

If formatting fails try the "HP USB disk formatting tool"
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/dow...e-format-tool/

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/d...rd-party-tools

By the way, also useful for reformatting SD cards that have previously
been formatted for cameras.

However expect some formatting of large disks to take VERY MANY HOURS
perhaps all of overnight!!!! Even smaller sd cards can take hours.

Old July 14th 18, 07:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 13 July 2018 21:45:46 UTC+1, ss wrote:
I currently use an old hard drive as an external, I bought a conversion
kit off ebay and all works fine.
I have now taken the hard drive from an unused virgin top box and hoping
to use that also as an external hard drive. Both are Seagate 3.5, Virgin
one 500GB.
I am assuming I would connect it to my PC and reformat. However I am not
quite sure of the connections to make as they are slightly different to
my current external one, as per image.
Any help or advice would be good.

https://imgur.com/a/BZmyhop

Once you've got your SATA-USB adaptor, you'll need to do 2 things.
1. Delete the partitions on the disc & make a new partition
2. Format it. If you use windows, use FAT or NTFS. For linux, FAT or Ext4.

Make sure your data is backed up first, wiping the wrong disc is not impossible.

NT
Old July 14th 18, 09:42 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 14/07/2018 07:46, wrote:
[...]

Ok thanks all, I think I have got the connections sussed out now. The
spare connections from the initial conversion kit connect to the
`virgin` hard drive, I just wasnt sure what went where as it was
different to my current external.
Hopefully if it is coded to the box I can get that sorted.
Old July 14th 18, 11:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 13/07/2018 22:56, Graham. wrote:
I currently use an old hard drive as an external, I bought a conversion
kit off ebay and all works fine.
I have now taken the hard drive from an unused virgin top box and hoping
to use that also as an external hard drive. Both are Seagate 3.5, Virgin
one 500GB.
I am assuming I would connect it to my PC and reformat. However I am not
quite sure of the connections to make as they are slightly different to
my current external one, as per image.
Any help or advice would be good.

https://imgur.com/a/BZmyhop

Ebay item 123188037792 99 pence inc free postage from China.

Nooooooooooooooo! That's for 2.5" drives. But, it's bloody cheap, isn't
it. Might get one to keep in stock.

Old July 14th 18, 11:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 13/07/2018 22:56, Graham. wrote:
Ebay item 123188037792 99 pence inc free postage from China.

Nooooooooooooooo! That's for 2.5" drives. But, it's bloody cheap, isn't
it. Might get one to keep in stock.

It's probably better to invest another quid in a USB 3.0 version:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-0-t...r/132670918384
since USB 2.0 is likely to be a bottleneck on most modern drives.

For 3.5" drives you can get adaptors like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-0-T...R/232780523602
but you're probably better off with a case that also handles power, unless
you're willing to fish around the inside of your PC for a spare SATA power
connector.

Theo
Old July 14th 18, 01:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/18 11:53, Theo wrote:
GB wrote:
On 13/07/2018 22:56, Graham. wrote:
Ebay item 123188037792 99 pence inc free postage from China.

Nooooooooooooooo! That's for 2.5" drives. But, it's bloody cheap, isn't
it. Might get one to keep in stock.

It's probably better to invest another quid in a USB 3.0 version:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-0-t...r/132670918384
since USB 2.0 is likely to be a bottleneck on most modern drives.

For 3.5" drives you can get adaptors like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-0-T...R/232780523602
but you're probably better off with a case that also handles power, unless
you're willing to fish around the inside of your PC for a spare SATA power
connector.

Theo

I dunno why he doesnt just mount te damned thing inside his PC and be
done with it.

Franly investng time and effort to read an onbsolete drive more than
once, to get the data off, is not in my list of cool hip ways to spend
my life

External drivees are available at very low prices. If your network is
too slow to move data round on it. A Gigabit network is comparable with
some USB stuff

..

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon