gerry

Default Why do gas water heaters fail?

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:41:07 GMT, The Michael
wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 02:30:37 GMT, "Marilyn and Bob" wrote:

«Wise old man once explained it to me: There is no difference betwen those
two water heaters, in a physical sense. ... The $100 is simply an extended
warranty»

Wise old man is not so wise. The difference is the warranty length AND the
size/quality of the sacrificial anode that retards the corrosion of the
tank. A longer warrantied gas water heater **will** last longer before it
fails.

Do gas water heaters have anodes?

Mine has two.

Sacrificial anodes have nothing to do with the energy source. An electric
unit's heating elements are insulated.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com