Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lost my ladders on the motorway

On 14/07/2018 22:53, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Steve Walker explained on 14/07/2018 :
Almost any caravan which turns over onto its side, will lift the rear
of the tow car off the road.

Not sure that'd have been true of the 60s and 70s cheap end of the
market - the roofs would bend as you tried to scrub them clean at the
beginning of the season!

True, but we are discussing a caravan going on its side. Its chassis
laid on its side is what takes the load and does the lifting of the tow
car.

The chassis of many caravans of the time did not really have much metal
at the side. All three of the ones that we owned through the 70s and 80s
had two chassis rails 18" or so in, half a dozen inch x inch angle irons
sticking out and a plywood floor. The walls were then just inch square
softwood framing, with fibreglass insulation sandwiched between a very
thin aluminium sheet and a hardboard interior.

SteveW