Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Lost my ladders on the motorway

Steve Walker Wrote in message:
On 13/07/2018 21:39, Tim+ wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 13/07/2018 20:48, Tim+ wrote:
ARW Wrote in message:
On 13/07/2018 19:27, Richard wrote:
On 13/07/18 19:20, ARW wrote:
Can anyone guess who fitted them to the roof of my van?

Actually it was not very funny.

I did, with the help of a bloke in a pickup with orange flashing
lights on the roof that stopped to help manage to get them off the
motorway (they were blocking lanes 2 and 3) throw them down the
banking of the hard shoulder, get the motorway running again and ****
off before the police arrived.

Oops.

I don't think that I will be showing the dashcam of that one. You
obviously cannot see the ladders but it does show how quickly the
motorway came to a stop.

You know when you are driving along a motorway and all of a sudden it
comes to a standstill for a few minutes and then you are moving again
and you are thinking "Why did we stop?"

Well today it was because of me.

BTDTGTTS.

In our case we laid a caravan on its side across two lanes of the
M6. Didn't half stop the traffic quickly.

Bet you didn't throw it down the banking next to the hard shoulder and
**** off.

Nope. Police pulled it upright, I hammered the hitch back into
shape with a lump hammer, taped the windows back in with duct
tape and carried on with a two week holiday.

We were, in many respects, extraordinarily lucky.

And had a well build caravan. What make was it?

Swift Challenger. I think though that by the time it rolled over,
most of our velocity had scrubbed off and we had very little
forward momentum when it finally tipped.

The van was an insurance write off though.

I remember stopping to try and help when someone turned a Cabby over on
the motorway in the 70s. They were the ones advertised in magazines with
a Volvo stood on the roof. In this case, the carvan was on its side,
facing the wrong way and a Volvo was hanging from the hitch, with its
back wheels in the air. No obvious damage at all, but I don't know what
the side against the road was like.

Ours had gravel rash all along one side.

Tim