Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Help to connect external hard drive

On 13/07/2018 21:45, ss wrote:
I currently use an old hard drive as an external, I bought a conversion
kit off ebay and all works fine.
I have now taken the hard drive from an unused virgin top box and hoping
to use that also as an external hard drive. Both are Seagate 3.5, Virgin
one 500GB.
I am assuming I would connect it to my PC and reformat. However I am not
quite sure of the connections to make as they are slightly different to
my current external one, as per image.
Any help or advice would be good.

https://imgur.com/a/BZmyhop

I assume that adapter is a universal USB to IDE/SATA

Your old drive is IDE

Your Virgin drive is SATA

The kit should have a SATA data lead and a SATA power lead
and an adapter to convert from a IDE power connector to a SATA power
connector.

Looking at your picture the connector on top of the virgin drive looks
correct. One lead from that will fit into the top of the large block
with the USB lead. The other cable should fit to the power outlet from
the power supply.

Although not the same adapter the following Youtube video may give some idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGdbRI-WPcY

or _some_ of the following
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGbrDoRWChk

Your PC may not see a disk formatted in a Virgin box. A lot of PVRs are
formatted as Ext3/Ext4. You may have to install a utility on the PC

https://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-w...-from-windows/

If formatting fails try the "HP USB disk formatting tool"
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/dow...e-format-tool/

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/d...rd-party-tools

By the way, also useful for reformatting SD cards that have previously
been formatted for cameras.

However expect some formatting of large disks to take VERY MANY HOURS
perhaps all of overnight!!!! Even smaller sd cards can take hours.