Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can a photocell be added to a porch light?

On 7/11/18 3:17 AM, wrote:
I have an antique porch light on my house that I like. So I dont want to
change the fixture. But I leave the light on all the time, so I can see
at night when I come home. Although I have a LED bulb in it, I'd still
like to have it shut off during the day.

It's a wall mounted light with a round base that fits against a box in
the wall. I can drill a hole in that base the size of a 1/2" knockout.
But do they sell low profile photrocells that can be put into such a
hole?

Wiring it should be easy. I am thinking there are 3 wires. One HOT, one
NEUTRAL on the INPUT side, and one HOT output to the light.

Yes, we have one on the back porch. It's white but looks
something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Outdoor-Swivel-Control-Photocell/dp/B073XB9D8X/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1531304210&sr=8-14&keywords=dusk+to+dawn+sensor
It isn't exactly inconspicuous. You can buy the yellow bug LEDs
if that's an issue.