Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can a photocell be added to a porch light?

I have an antique porch light on my house that I like. So I dont want to
change the fixture. But I leave the light on all the time, so I can see
at night when I come home. Although I have a LED bulb in it, I'd still
like to have it shut off during the day.

It's a wall mounted light with a round base that fits against a box in
the wall. I can drill a hole in that base the size of a 1/2" knockout.
But do they sell low profile photrocells that can be put into such a
hole?

Wiring it should be easy. I am thinking there are 3 wires. One HOT, one
NEUTRAL on the INPUT side, and one HOT output to the light.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 3:20:43 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have an antique porch light on my house that I like. So I dont want to
change the fixture. But I leave the light on all the time, so I can see
at night when I come home. Although I have a LED bulb in it, I'd still
like to have it shut off during the day.

It's a wall mounted light with a round base that fits against a box in
the wall. I can drill a hole in that base the size of a 1/2" knockout.
But do they sell low profile photrocells that can be put into such a
hole?

Wiring it should be easy. I am thinking there are 3 wires. One HOT, one
NEUTRAL on the INPUT side, and one HOT output to the light.

The big box stores sell photocell kits you may be able to use one of them. I don't know how well one would work with an LED light. ^_^

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Photocells-...cal/4294546221

[8~{} Uncle Lit Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/11/2018 1:30 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

You can get devices that sit between the bulb and the socket.
May have an issue if it raises the bulb too high to fit in the enclosure.

What are you trying to achieve?
If it's saving the planet, you probably won't want it on all night
either.
A timer may be a better fit. You can replace the light switch
with one that includes timer functionality.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ligh...h+w ith+timer

fishing cable from new outside porch light to inside porch Nobbyone UK diy 5 September 3rd 14 12:41 PM
I need a photocell for an antique yard light FireBrick Home Repair 7 June 25th 07 10:41 PM
post light photocell Eric Home Repair 14 June 3rd 07 01:03 AM
Photocell porch light Martin Pentreath UK diy 9 October 12th 06 02:27 PM
You too can receive $50,000 from spending only $5.00...read this to find out how, and receive a special added bonus!!! You too can receive $50,000 from spending only $5.00...read this to find out how, and receive a special added bonus!!! Brooklynspy Metalworking 0 September 24th 05 07:52 PM