Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can a photocell be added to a porch light?

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 3:20:43 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have an antique porch light on my house that I like. So I dont want to
change the fixture. But I leave the light on all the time, so I can see
at night when I come home. Although I have a LED bulb in it, I'd still
like to have it shut off during the day.

It's a wall mounted light with a round base that fits against a box in
the wall. I can drill a hole in that base the size of a 1/2" knockout.
But do they sell low profile photrocells that can be put into such a
hole?

Wiring it should be easy. I am thinking there are 3 wires. One HOT, one
NEUTRAL on the INPUT side, and one HOT output to the light.

The big box stores sell photocell kits you may be able to use one of them. I don't know how well one would work with an LED light. ^_^

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Photocells-...cal/4294546221

[8~{} Uncle Lit Monster