Jim Yanik

Default splitting cable signals....Speaking of AMPs

"j j" wrote in
:

"John Hines" wrote in message
The frequencies used by air craft, and police are right above the FM
band (what would be 109-120 on the dial or so), which is between
channels 6 and 7 in the TV spectrum.

So yes, a bad TV antenna product can cause problems with public
safety.

yes, but there's no antenna in an amplifier.
let's say the amp is 10 cm long, if there's a 10cm trace on the PCB it
could radiate at 1.5Ghz, not 100MHz. I can see how someone outide your
house can pick up stray emissions, but I don't see how these emissions
would reach an aircraft 10Km above.

A loose F connector (or an improperly installed one)can allow leakage,or a
corroded connector;the corrosion acts like a diode,creating harmonics from
the many signals on the cable.One of the cable channels may have the
same,or be close to a frequency used by aircraft.

Tha amp itself could have problems,perhaps overdriving an internal stage
enough to cause EMI radiation.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net