Posted to uk.d-i-y
theDuck01 theDuck01 is offline

Default Best way to repair a galvanised watering can?

replying to Onetap, theDuck01 wrote:
Almost 6 years ago I inherited an old galvanised watering can; the only
problem was it had developed a leak in its base. A bit of wire brushing
exposed a small hole.
At first I fixed it with Araldite; this worked for a few years, but it
eventually failed.
My second attempt was with SUPER STEEL; this worked for a few more years; but
it eventually failed.
So I decided to research a soldering solution. This is what I found:

*** Use lead/tin 60:40 solder
*** Use "killed spirits" flux
*** Use a tin plate patch

Killed spirit was made by dissolving zinc in concentrated hydrochloric acid.
The internet helped with the details.
The tin plate patch was easily crafted from a tin can.

The watering can base and back of patch was cleaned. Both surfaces were
painted will killed spirit and then tinned with the solder. The patch was held
in place, heated and extra solder added.

The result was a very workable patch (see photos)
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/f9
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/fa