Chris Lewis

Default Am I grounded? Electrically speaking.

According to zxcvbob :
Chantecleer wrote:

zxcvbob wrote:

If you wrap green electrical tape around both ends just up from where the
insulation is stripped, it is no longer a red wire. All the red in the
middle doesn't count.

Super. That's what I thought. Just was not sure if it is to code. There
must be a way to reuse all those wires in all the buildings in the world.
Problem solved.

Chris L. pointed out that it is not to code for wires smaller than
[something huge I don't remember]. But in a follow-up he agreed that it

might be the way to go here anyway, and there's a good chance the
inspector would OK it.

To his summary posting, I said I'd use a GFCI in two wire mode and not
bother with trying to ground it unless I figured it was _absolutely_
necessary to have a ground. A GFCI generally protects people from shocks
better than a ground does anyway. There are times where you really do
want a ground - ie: computers.

If it was for something potentially life endangering (eg: poolside
lighting or a spa heater), I'd bite the bullet and pull new wire.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est