Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Cat flap in a glazed UPVC door question

On Sun, 1 Jul 2018 15:42:20 +0100, Richard
wrote:

snip

There are neighbours who like to have cats
visiting, but don't want the expense of owning one.

I'm sure there are. Did you have a point?

Yep. I provide a free service to people who may want a visiting cat.

And what of those who don't? What choice do *they* get?

It
is even there for those who don't yet know that they want a visiting cat.

And for those who know they don't, those trying to grow produce or
have children who like playing on the lawn and not in cat sh1t.

snip

Is your cat chipped OOI?

Yes, my cat is chipped.

Good to hear. We just need portable scanners that you can fit in your
garden and we can get you to come round and clear the sh1t up.

snip

p.s. Our daughter is also a part time animal warden and much of the
time she's collecting dogs that have got out and been held by a member
of the public or taken to the vets etc. If the animal isn't chipped
and the owner comes forward they are charged to have the dog chipped
and also charged for the collection (and fined if they are repeat
offenders). If the dog has done any damage along the way the owners
can also be reported to the Police and subsequently charged and
further action taken.

Cats and other wild animals she often has to collect with a shovel.

Keeps her off the streets.

Well, not quite ... as that's where the flattest of them are often
found.

I am an animal lover and if I'm somewhere where there is a cat it will
often end up on my lap. But because I'm not some old mad cat lady and
actually think a 'companion animal' should just be that, if I had a
pet again it would have to be a dog and would *never* be a cat (even
an indoor one).

Apart from all the negative things re cats, people rarely spend any
time with their 'companion animals' (cats) when away from the home and
for me, that would be very much part of the whole point.

Plus my social responsibility would mean I wouldn't want to inflict my
choice on others (different if it's an indoor cat, you live in the
middle of nowhere or it can't get out of your own grounds).

But this a lack of social responsibility and being 'happy' to
persevere with Brexit knowing 2/3rds of the electorate *didn't* vote
for it seem to go hand in hand. ;-)

Cheers, T i m