Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cat flap in a glazed UPVC door question

On Sunday, 1 July 2018 00:47:23 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 23:15:40 +0200 (GMT+02:00), Tim+
wrote:

snip

I'm sure you would like to ensure she is being considerate to her
neighbours and responsible for *her* pet right? ;-)

Let me guess, you're not a cat person?

My comment wasn't really anything to do with being 'a cat / dog
person' (unless being a 'cat person means you become less socially
responsible etc) but to do with what you are happy for your (outdoor?)
pet to be doing when it's not under your direct control?

We don't currently have any pets and so don't expect to find fouling
from any *pets* in our private / sealed back garden.

Therefore, I question the attitude / social responsibility of anyone
who knowingly allows their personal 'companion animal' to roam free
and potentially blight the lives of others, without them having any
real recourse?

I know the law allows this (within reason) but just because it's not
illegal doesn't mean it's right.

Your cat can come into my garden and kill the wild birds (27M a year?)
I feed [1] but if my lurcher gets into you back garden and kills your
cat (equally 'nature' doing it's thing), I'm guessing you would kick
up a big fuss? [2] I'm pretty sure your cat wouldn't differentiate
between a wild sparrow and my budgie that I let out for it's afternoon
fly around in my back garden?

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rotection-tips

If you want a pet, *you* have one, the rest of us don't want it on our
property (thanks).

I guess this is what happens when you introduce a non-native species
to a country but don't let their natural predators have their way.

(Outdoor) cats seem to be the sort of things people get who don't
really want or want the responsibility that should (and does with most
others) typically be part of owning a pet? ;-(

Cheers, T i m

[1] And other animals and don't always eat them.

[2] Especially so if it just mamed it and then tormented it for a few
hours before leaving it injured somewhere to die a slow and lingering
death?

people trying to impose their own version of reality on the world rarely works.

NT