Posted to alt.home.repair
Petrie Hawkins-Bird Petrie Hawkins-Bird is offline

Default towed a portable generator

On 6/26/2018 1:15 AM, Deodiaus wrote:
I hooked my rental portable electric generator to the back of my truck. In doing so, I destroyed the wheels. I thought that a 5 mi ride would not be that much. It ended up over heating the plastic wheels [with no ball bearings] and they melted. It was intentionally designed to fail as I had done this with a 1950 [all metal wheels] wheelbarrow.
It was stupid. I must have gotten the idea seeing other trucks towing theirs. I think that they were rated for that, probably had a hitch.
Now, the rental place wants to charge me a lot. I am willing to pay, but they seem to attribute every damage on that unit to my doing on a heavily used unit, EC86COOL which they claim is worth $5K.
How can I "lawyer out" of this?
Claim that there was no written notice regarding that this unit cannot be towed behind a truck? I think if someone sues a ladder company due to not putting a notice for some stupid lack of notice, i.e. don't stand on top rung, can I pull this off on the rental.

Did this generator have a trailer license plate on it?

Fenders?

Turn signals, running and brake lights?

Tongue hitch for standard 1-7/8" or 2" ball?

Street-legal tires?

If you can answer yes to all five, you might be able to "lawyer out" of this.Â* Otherwise, be prepared for a severe Judge Judy beat-down.