Posted to alt.home.repair

Default towed a portable generator

I hooked my rental portable electric generator to the back of my truck. In doing so, I destroyed the wheels. I thought that a 5 mi ride would not be that much. It ended up over heating the plastic wheels [with no ball bearings] and they melted. It was intentionally designed to fail as I had done this with a 1950 [all metal wheels] wheelbarrow.
It was stupid. I must have gotten the idea seeing other trucks towing theirs. I think that they were rated for that, probably had a hitch.
Now, the rental place wants to charge me a lot. I am willing to pay, but they seem to attribute every damage on that unit to my doing on a heavily used unit, EC86COOL which they claim is worth $5K.
How can I "lawyer out" of this?
Claim that there was no written notice regarding that this unit cannot be towed behind a truck? I think if someone sues a ladder company due to not putting a notice for some stupid lack of notice, i.e. don't stand on top rung, can I pull this off on the rental.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 22:15:37 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

I hooked my rental portable electric generator to the back of my truck.
In doing so, I destroyed the wheels. I thought that a 5 mi ride would not be that much.
It ended up over heating the plastic wheels [with no ball bearings] and they melted.
It was intentionally designed to fail as I had done this with a 1950 wheelbarrow.
It was stupid. I must have gotten the idea seeing other trucks towing theirs.
I think that they were rated for that, probably had a hitch.
Now, the rental place wants to charge me a lot. I am willing to pay,
but they seem to attribute every damage on that unit to my doing on a
heavily used unit, EC86COOL which they claim is worth $5K.
How can I "lawyer out" of this?
Claim that there was no written notice regarding that this unit cannot be
towed behind a truck? I think if someone sues a ladder company
due to not putting a notice for some stupid lack of notice,
i.e. don't stand on top rung, can I pull this off on the rental.

I think I saw you - towing the wheelbarrow ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORcATFYBTZY

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 at 1:15:41 AM UTC-4, Deodiaus wrote:
[...]

I'm betting you didn't tow it when you picked it up? If they saw you hooking it up and leaving that way, that would be your first defense. But if not and it doesn't have a hitch then I think you're hosed. Did you damage it other than the wheels? How much are new wheels if you bought them? I'd say that amount plus $75 to $100 is fair, assuming it's easy to swap the wheels.. They are also entitled to loss of use, for the time its out of service. If they want that, ask them to prove that all similar units were rented during the time that it was out of service for repair, by showing you their rental records. You can try to lawyer out of it by offering to pay a fair amount and no more. If they want more, refuse to pay, they will have to sue you and it's not likely they will. And read the contract, what does it say about damages?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I will pay for actual damages.
However, I am being charged full replacement value on the parts and labor.
A case in point, when I had some clothes damaged by the cleaner, they paid 20% of their value, as they were used.
Ditto, if I get into an accident, the insurance pays the damages, but only at the "assessed value" of the car, usually even just 80% of that.
Yes, I am being a prick, but we live in a society where this is common.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 1:23:02 PM UTC-4, Deodiaus wrote:
I will pay for actual damages.
However, I am being charged full replacement value on the parts and labor.
A case in point, when I had some clothes damaged by the cleaner, they paid 20% of their value, as they were used.

And if you destroyed the whole generator, they would similarly be entitled
to whatever the current fair market value of a used generator in similar
condition before the damage was worth. But you're saying that it's less
to fix it, so what's the problem now?

Ditto, if I get into an accident, the insurance pays the damages, but only at the "assessed value" of the car, usually even just 80% of that.
Yes, I am being a prick, but we live in a society where this is common.

Yes, if you total the car. Did you total the generator? If the damage to
the car is less than the fair market value, then the insurance company pays
full market price for parts and labor. What's the problem? Did you damage
more than just the wheels? How much are they charging you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Jun 2018 10:22:58 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

I will pay for actual damages.
However, I am being charged full replacement value on the parts and labor.
A case in point, when I had some clothes damaged by the cleaner, they paid 20% of their value, as they were used.
Ditto, if I get into an accident, the insurance pays the damages, but only at the "assessed value" of the car, usually even just 80% of that.
Yes, I am being a prick, but we live in a society where this is common.

Doesn't give you an excuse. What you did was STUPID.

That is common too ----
Posted to alt.home.repair

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

wrote:

I will pay for actual damages.
However, I am being charged full replacement value on the parts and labor.
A case in point, when I had some clothes damaged by the cleaner, they paid 20% of their value, as they were used.
Ditto, if I get into an accident, the insurance pays the damages, but only at the "assessed value" of the car, usually even just 80% of that.
Yes, I am being a prick, but we live in a society where this is common.

Doesn't give you an excuse. What you did was STUPID.

That is common too ----

Ya can't fix it...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2018 1:15 AM, Deodiaus wrote:
[...]

Did this generator have a trailer license plate on it?

Fenders?

Turn signals, running and brake lights?

Tongue hitch for standard 1-7/8" or 2" ball?

Street-legal tires?

If you can answer yes to all five, you might be able to "lawyer out" of this.Â* Otherwise, be prepared for a severe Judge Judy beat-down.