Chris Lewis

Default Am I grounded? Electrically speaking.

According to Rob :
Hi, I just had an electrical inspection done by Ontario Hydro, forced on me
by my insurance company. This was on a house that I just bought that was
converted into a triplex sharing the same hydro meter. Some of the wiring is
older two wire with no ground, but using three pin outlets. His advice was
to either block the ground hole with epoxy to make it two pin, or to use
GCFI's where a ground was needed, or run a ground cable to one of the water
pipes. This put the wiring within code and also acts as a safe or safer
circuit as any shorts to ground are picked up quicker than conventional
wiring using the ground to blow the fuse or breaker.
Unless you can get to a copper water pipe, the GCFI will more than meet
your needs.

Note that:
1) blocking the third pin is illegal in the NEC. This is pretty stale advice
even for the CEC. I don't think it was ever required. In the NEC, they require
you to put labels on GFCI-protected 3 prong outlets that only have 2 wires.
2) GFCI's don't "make a ground". Note in particular, DO NOT interconnect
the ground prongs of outlets downstream of a two-wire GFCI.
3) copper pipe grounding is bad advice generally speaking, and will usually
be in violation of code. The inspector _may_ have had his reasons for your
situation _specifically_, but it should never be generally recommended. In
many situations it's hideously dangerous.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est