Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default dado on front and back of cabinet drawer only

On 6/25/2018 7:53 AM, Robbie Brusso wrote:
Sorry for the long delay everyone. I failed to mention a key point: I'd still brad or screw in the bottom along the sides. If not, as many

of you have pointed out, the bottom would sag (especially when the depth
is 17.5 inches).

I suppose dadoing along the entire box might make assembly easier.

Yes, that will become obvious after you build your first drawer. Also,
you will find cutting the back off to screw/nail the drawer bottom for
later removal is not only more work, but a waste of time as it will
never be needed on a correctly built drawer. Even if it would be
needed, which it won't, you can cut the back then to remove the bottom.

My only issue was that I've never done a dado before so I wanted to take a
minimalist approach. But I guess if I'm able to do the front and back
properly, I should be able to do the sides. I'm using a router table so it
should be fairly straight forward.

Yes. Forget minimalist approach, do it right the first try, minimalist
approaches almost always end up as a "maximist" approaches.

And this is for my own kitchen - but my wife is an attentive customer haha.

Stuff you build for yourself always demands maximum attention as _you_
will be living with all your mistakes, as well as your perfection.
Perfection is easy to live with, so avoid minimalist approaches until
you have maximum experience and KNOW where cutting a corner 'might' work.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com