Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default towed a portable generator

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 22:15:37 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

I hooked my rental portable electric generator to the back of my truck.
In doing so, I destroyed the wheels. I thought that a 5 mi ride would not be that much.
It ended up over heating the plastic wheels [with no ball bearings] and they melted.
It was intentionally designed to fail as I had done this with a 1950 wheelbarrow.
It was stupid. I must have gotten the idea seeing other trucks towing theirs.
I think that they were rated for that, probably had a hitch.
Now, the rental place wants to charge me a lot. I am willing to pay,
but they seem to attribute every damage on that unit to my doing on a
heavily used unit, EC86COOL which they claim is worth $5K.
How can I "lawyer out" of this?
Claim that there was no written notice regarding that this unit cannot be
towed behind a truck? I think if someone sues a ladder company
due to not putting a notice for some stupid lack of notice,
i.e. don't stand on top rung, can I pull this off on the rental.

I think I saw you - towing the wheelbarrow ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORcATFYBTZY

John T.