Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default dado on front and back of cabinet drawer only

On 6/23/2018 3:02 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 6/23/2018 10:12 AM, dpb wrote:
On 6/21/2018 10:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Typically a dado is cut in all four pieces and the bottom is slid in
before
the back (or front) is attached. That way the bottom is supported on
all four
side.

While a lot of folks do so, it's not the best option or the
traditional--which is to dado the front and sides and leave the back
the width of the depth of the drawer.Â* The drawer can then be
assembled and the bottom inserted later.

--

Tradition schmadition. Unless you are trying toÂ* exactly duplicate some
antique piece you should use the best available method and material. I

Which is ok provided you leave sufficient expansion room in the
grooves...with just a pin is the bottom can move enough sufficiently...

If you prefer that, fine, with the half-inch bottom it's not needed
unless it's a very wide drawer and I personally prefer then to only do
front/sides...

ymmv, $0.02, etc., etc., etc, ...