George E. Cawthon

Default Am I grounded? Electrically speaking.

Chantecleer wrote:

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Chop the top

Yes, your assumption about the GCFI is correct, and would
still need to add a grounding wire to meet code. But GCFI
doesn't need a ground to operate, so you would be safe(r).

Since I'm close to the Water Heater, and it does have cold, hot pipe and
gas pipe bonded, I assume I could run a copper wire to the box which is 5
feet or so away. If I were to ground the box, I'd be done.

Bare copper would be a bad idea? I do have shielded green groundwire. But
since the pipes are bonded together with bare copper behind the water
heater, I could just extend that wire. Guess I need to look up the code. I
think around here they adhere to NEC 1996.

Thanks for your help.

Chantecleer

See zxcvbob. You already have a third wire, so use it. If
you bonding wire leads back to the box, I assume you can use
it, otherwise not. I think you need the wire protected, but
other here can answer exactly, if you know who to believe.
Or ask your friendly electrical inspector.