Jeff Wisnia

Default Question on splitting cable signals....

If you do buy an amp, make sure you get one rated to amplify signals up to at
least 900 Mhz, don't let someone stick you with an "old stock" amp which may
only work up to 300 Mhz. You'll lose the higher channels with one of the old
ones. (DAMHIKT)

Likewise with any cable you get, make sure it's rated for 900 Mhz too.

Happy New Year,

Jeff

EvoDawg wrote:

Bill wrote:

My cable TV reception is "OK" but I am thinking of ways to reduce signal
loss and improve the picture if possible.

- I have about 6 TV's in my house.... 3 on the main living floor, and 3 in
the upper bedrooms.
- My cable comes in the basement, and is split 4 ways, with one going to
the upstairs.
- The upstairs lead is split again 3 ways for the bedrooms.

In theory, would it be better to split the incoming siganl 6 ways in the
basement, and run 3 independant cables to each bedroom?

What about in practice? Would 1 less slpit in the chain improve things?

Most splitters have db loss printed right on them. Hook the shortest run to
the hightest loss on the splitter. You might think about getting an amp to
jack up the dB's first. Just don't put the amp where there is little or no
signal or you will just be amplifying noise. Get a good amp, cheap ones
just make it worse. Its always best to have home runs to each TV but thats
not always feasible. Also make sure if your splitting a signal your not
splitting it on the high db loss side of the splitter.

Good Luck,
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone to
blame it on."