Jeff Wisnia

Default splitting cable signals....Speaking of AMPs

Uh, the line cord on that amp was probably a bit longer than 10 cm, huh?

If the manufacturer didn't give a ****e about keeping the rf leakage down, then
the amp could have been lighting up the house's whole electrical distribution
system with rf. Odds are that's what the cable company picked up.

Now do you "see why". (Ducking...)

You've undoubtendly noticed labels on all sorts of electronic equipment stating
that they comply with certain FCC rules with regards to rf leakage. Those "thick
lumps" you often see on cables coming out of computer monitors are ferrite
chokes, used to block rf currents from going any further.

Just my .02

Happy New Year,

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone to
blame it on."

j j wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
The frequencies used by air craft, and police are right above the FM
band (what would be 109-120 on the dial or so), which is between
channels 6 and 7 in the TV spectrum.

So yes, a bad TV antenna product can cause problems with public safety.

yes, but there's no antenna in an amplifier.
let's say the amp is 10 cm long, if there's a 10cm trace on the PCB it could
radiate at 1.5Ghz, not 100MHz. I can see how someone outide your house can
pick up stray emissions, but I don't see how these emissions would reach an
aircraft 10Km above.