Bruce

Default need hot water FAST

In alt.home.repair
(PV) wrote:

I bought a newly built house 3 years ago. At that time, I asked the
builder why it took so long, 3-4 minutes, before hot water came out of
the faucets when you first turned them on. He said that was the
standard wait.

I'm annoyed now that I have to wait so long for the hot water to come
out. The temperature of the water is fine and I have no problems with
running out of hot water. I want to know if there is something I can
install/replace to make the hot water get to the faucet quicker, in 1
minute instead of 5 minutes. And I have this wait with all of my
faucets, kitchen, shower and bathrooms.

Is it cold where you're at? It is not possible to keep the water hot when
it is inside the pipes. You're dealing with the time it takes to remove
the cold water from the pipe, heat the pipe, and then come out the faucet.

This time should get longer the farther you are away from the water heater.
The only way I know to change it is to install an instant hot water heater
at the source and I doubt you want to do that.

I've never head of a hot water loop but for it to do any good, each
plumbing run would have to have one and it would require a pump to run
continuously.