Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default attached garage roof meets t1-11... how to flash?

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 21:44:34 -0400, Billy Behr
wrote:

On 6/20/2018 3:44 PM, Jason wrote:
replying to tom, Jason* wrote:
I’m trying to find a code reference for this. The builder of my house nailed
the flashing to the siding without tucking it under. Then nailed a piece of
trim on top of the flashing and caulked the top part of the trim to seal it.
It leaks and I want to get them to fix it. If I had the code reference I’d
be going in there with something to argue. Since I’m the second owner of
this six year old house I’m not sure if they will fix it or not.

Sounds messed up.* What color was the builder?

Definitely not done right and should be fixed - doesn't matter if
the builder had pink polka-dots.

The flashing should go up under the siding and the bottom edge of the
siding should be sealed. The siding should also end a few inches above
the roof surface - depending if you are in a snow region - the
flashing should go well up the wall.
Personally I like to see water and ice guard (membrane) runabout 8
inches up the wall under the siding, running about 16 inches out the
roof, with the flashing over that.

Here a minimum of 36 inches of ice guard is required all around the
bottom and edge (gable or slope) of the roof - houses with wide
overhang need more.