Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Good ideas overseas

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 13:18:17 +0100, "NY" wrote:

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 11:10:24 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Before they go green, either yellow or amber is shonw which indicated
proceed with caution which you are leagly able to do BEFORE the light
goes green so WTF are you talking about jumping green lights is this
some sort of sex thing you aussie do while the sheep rest.

The amber before green does not mean move off. It means prepare to move
off when the green light shows.

Hence a green light can not be jumped.

The fact that some people *do* cross the line before the green light shows
that it (physically) can be jumped, even though it must not be. That assumes
that you interpret "jump a green light" as meaning "set off before the green
light appears", subtly different from "jump a red light" which means "set
off after the red light appears and after the green has disappeared".

To clarify I first saw the system in use in Indonesia. The norm was
for drivers and motorcyclists in particular to start to edge across
the red light to get the best "getaway" once green showed. Of course
this led to some mingly with the cross-traffic who had not yet had
their red light or were jumping it.

The introduction of the timer seemed to stop the edging forward in
anticipation as there was no anticipation - there was a
straightforward countdown which appeared to be obeyed and there was a
"Grand Prix" start when zero was reached.

I presume knowing that this was going to happen cut down the red light
jumpers from the other direction.

It's all psychological and there's no reason that drivers couldn't
start edging at 3 or 2 or 1 but they didn't, they waited till zero.

This was a couple of years ago and it will be interesting to see if
there's any change when I go back there next year.

--
AnthonyL