Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default New Yankee Workshop

On 6/20/2018 1:56 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 13:26:22 -0500, dpb wrote:

You have to see and feel one of his pieces to fully appreciate; pictures
don't do justice to the "fit and feel".

And, say he has a busy year and builds 30 pieces at an average of $4,000
each -- that still only grosses $120,000/yr and in ME to heat the shop
over the winter will take half that!

I don't doubt that it's very nice hand-made furniture ..
I just don't move in the social circles where anyone knows anyone
who would pay $ 6 grand US almost $ 8 grand Canadian
for that "computer table " ..
.. and then have to go shopping for a chair ! :-)
If I were to ask around here - I'm guessing that the local
craftsmen would maybe charge $ 1200 to build one -
certainly $ 2000. would do it..
John T.

He's been 40 years in building the reputation that will support the
present, too. Certainly the reputation and being well known through the
association with Fine Woodworking hasn't hurt in getting all that
national advertising for the price of writing an article while he builds
a piece so that his potential client pool is hugely wider than a local
without said vehicle; website or no.

Met him and saw some of his work years ago at a juried show; even for
"the trained professional" his work is out of the ordinary in execution.