j j

Default splitting cable signals....Speaking of AMPs

"Sasal Suzi" wrote in message

Just don't put the amp where there is little or no
signal or you

Speaking of amps .....
A couple of years ago we had 5 TV's and an amp, gemini I think.
We were eating dinner when we heard a loud beep, beep, beep
coming from outside. There was a Comcast cable truck outside.
The worker rang our bell. He said he detected an illegal condition
that needed to be resolved. If we refused, service would be stopped.
We let him in. He said that our amp was in violation and had to be
removed. We complied and he went away. The reason he gave was
that it interfered with aircraft, believe it or not. We never hooked it
back up. It was very scary to have somebody pull up outside and
"scan" our premisis. Makes you wonder what else they have.

that's BS. they don't want you getting different TVs in your house without
paying extra.

A coax cable is a shielded transmission line, it's got the neutral wrapped
around the inner conductor and it shouldn't radiate anything, certainly not
enough to reach airplanes.
while a really bad amplifier could leak out RF, at 100MHz the wavelength is
about 3 meters and an antenna must be at least 1.5 meters. I don't think the
amp could work as a good antenna for the cable frequencies. maybe someone in
front of your house could detect some leaks but not an airplane 10Km above.

it's more likely that the amp was cheap and it did create interference on
their own network, or that they simply wanted you to pay extra.