Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default New Yankee Workshop

On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 13:26:22 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 6/20/2018 12:50 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 10:08:49 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

On Wednesday, June 20, 2018 at 8:41:56 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Again, that depends on what one is building for what target market.
Christian Becksvoort doesn't...

https://www.chbecksvoort.com/

--

Beautiful work. Would you say these side stands are made of cherry? They are on my to do this summer. Thanks!

https://www.chbecksvoort.com/tables.html

Crikey ! Do people actually pay those prices ?

I can maybe see such high prices on more time-consuming styles
of furniture that have carving or inlay ... or exotic wood ..
I don't really see it .. even doing hand-cut joinery.
John T.

You have to see and feel one of his pieces to fully appreciate; pictures
don't do justice to the "fit and feel".

And, say he has a busy year and builds 30 pieces at an average of $4,000
each -- that still only grosses $120,000/yr and in ME to heat the shop
over the winter will take half that!

I don't doubt that it's very nice hand-made furniture ..
I just don't move in the social circles where anyone knows anyone
who would pay $ 6 grand US almost $ 8 grand Canadian
for that "computer table " ..
.. and then have to go shopping for a chair ! :-)
If I were to ask around here - I'm guessing that the local
craftsmen would maybe charge $ 1200 to build one -
certainly $ 2000. would do it..
John T.