Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Mains powered circular saw for a left-hander

On 20/06/2018 15:18, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2018 14:49:56 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 20/06/2018 12:17, jkn wrote:
Hi All
I am thinking of getting a circular saw (185mm) for a few jobs
around the
place. I am plenty 'handy' enough but for woodworking have tended to
stick to hand tools for most of the things I need to do.

Apart from the fact that they are scary things, one other consideration
for me is that I am left handed, and have a small and somewhat
'malformed' right hand (Poland's Syndrome, if anyone is interested).

This normally causes me no problems, but I am aware that tools like
this are increasingly ergonomically designed for the majority
right-handed folk. My right hand has less strength than my left and
sometimes it is awkward for me to 'hold a handle and press a button'
with it at the same time - stuff like that.

Are there any left-handers here who can offer opinions about designs
that are better suited (or less ill-suited) to the sinister amongst us?

FWIW I was thinking of the Evolution Rage saw, which I have seen get
good press here.

Circular saws are not especially "handed" as such since the handles are
designed to work with either hand.

They have to chose which side the blade is on with respect to the body,
Oddly most cordless circular saws opt for the other orientation...

Switches ? Safety catches ?

Not usually a problem on modern saws, but yup sometimes the trigger
release was single sided on older saws.

All my current ones have a control you can nudge from either side.

--
Cheers,

John.