Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default New Yankee Workshop

On 6/19/2018 5:57 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 12:45:03 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

If had a nickel for every time he said "to hold in place while the glue
dries"!

I never understood the hysterical screeching that surfaced here and other woodworking venues when he used the brad gun. It's just a small trim nail... to me it was a good idea. I never watched Norm until the last few years he was on, so I don't know if he represented it as some "super tool" or "ultimate woodworking solution" to draw the ire of the home woodworker. It was awful on Sawmill Creek.

Agreed

I didn't understand it because by the time I found the opportunity to watch it on a Saturday afternoon he just pulled out the brad gun and pegged something as needed. Although we didn't have pneumatic tools back then on the job (only framing guns) we had been using "a" screw or "a" nail to hold things in place while glues set for many years.

I always figured a lot of his tool and production choices were driven by
the fact that he had tool sponsors who wanted (as in expected/demanded)
their tools be front and foremost to continue the financial backing...

No doubt.

The only thing I ever had a real problem with that Norm did was trying to watch his finishing. As a professional finisher/refinisher, it was really painful sometimes to see the wrong materials used, materials applied incorrectly, and incorrect prep procedures.

It was the stains that were almost opaque over cherry or walnut that
made me cringe. He may as well have used poplar to begin with.

I thought a lot of his projects were pretty interesting, but as I said I didn't seem them until the run of the show was about 75% or more complete.

Robert

I was always interested in all of his projects up to finishing, he did a
great job on the vast majority.