George E. Cawthon

Default Am I grounded? Electrically speaking.

Chantecleer wrote:

HA HA Budys Here wrote:

Cut the top...

If the box isn't connected to ground, it's not grounded. Why did you use a #8?

I had #8 solid copper wire. So I used it. Leftover from when I bonded the
Hot and Cold water pipe to the gas pipe, as the City inspector said I
should. (The main box was upgraded.)

The wiring of the outlet was a conversion. It had a 30 Amp 220V plug on it
that I will never use. So I converted it to a 20 Amp 110 plug. Had extra
breakers in the box. This plug had 3 wires used to go to an electric dryer
at 220V. I taped up the Red Hot wire and used the Black Hot and the White
Neutral. It did not have any grounding from what I could see. I had put the
plug into the box and it all works. But I could not believe this was
grounded just because the green wire went to the metal box. I'm running the
washer and dryer off it. Gas dryer.

I am replacing the plug with a GFCI. Immediately. Won't I have the same
problem however? The GFCI will also just go from Green screw to the metal
casing of the box. Is there something else I need to do here? I would NOT
want to rewire the whole thing. I'd rather shoot it.

Thanks for all the common sense help.

Chantecleer

It's not grounded. If you want safety you need to add a
grounding wire from the box to the breaker buss. I don't
know about code, but I would simply add that wire to the
surface of the wall and cover it with a wooden strip. To
meet code you would probably have to run it in conduit.

Yes, your assumption about the GCFI is correct, and would
still need to add a grounding wire to meet code. But GCFI
doesn't need a ground to operate, so you would be safe(r).