Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry Peter Parry is offline

Default Splitting Pills

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 11:44:53 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 17:09:10 -0000 (UTC), Chris
wrote:

A few years ago I mentioned to a couple of friends that I took low
dosage aspirin by breaking up a 300mg tablet into 4 or 5. They both
immediately looked at me in horror - one was a Chemist, the other was
a medical Doctor. They explained that there was no way of knowing the
the medical dose was evenly spread across the aspirin which contained
other elements to help with binding and stomach protection etc.

If that was the case then no two pills would ever carry the same dose.
The contents of each pill are, within very sight tolerances, the same.
Pill mixing/packaging machines are huge re configurable production
lines with sampling and checking for mixture components and
homogeneity throughout the process. Take half a pill and you are
going to have half the active ingredient.

What you shouldn't do is split either enteric coated pills or slow
release capsules as these are designed to start releasing the active
ingredient in different parts of the gut and the capsule or pill
coating is vital.